The internet is a part of our daily lives. We use email and text to communicate with friends and family. We buy things online. And we share information about ourselves on social media. There are many benefits, but there are also pitfalls. When we’re online it’s important that we take steps to protect our private information.
It’s equally important for companies to protect their private information and the information of their customers. Many companies have had their information stolen by hackers in recent years. This means that cybersecurity is a growing field that needs new people with a strong STEM background. You could be one of them!
To learn more about protecting yourself online, watch the following videos created by Nova Labs – a part of PBS:
- Cybersecurity 101 (3:38) – Introduction to cybersecurity and Nova’s Cybersecurity Lab.
- Cyber Codes (3:25) – Codes, also known as encryption, are frequently used when communicating online, but not all the time. Learn which of your communications may not be private.
- The Secret Lives of Hackers (3:01) – Who are hackers and why do they hack?
- A Cyber Privacy Parable (3:18) – A story that illustrates what can happen with the information that you post online.
When you’ve finished watching the videos you can check what you’ve learned by taking the quizzes.
The last step in this featured project is to play the cybersecurity game. In this game you’ll defend a company from cybersecurity attacks. Challenges include:
Have fun playing the game!
Note for educators: The Nova Cybersecurity Lab includes a Cybersecurity Lab Guide for Educators which includes supplemental information and tips for including the components of the lab into a lesson plan.
- Protecting Against Network Attacks
- Coding Challenge (Note: No prior coding experience required.)
- Password Cracking Challenge
- Social Engineering Challenge