- 2 Cups Water
- 5 Cups Sugar
- 3-4 open mouth jars
- Rock Candy sticks (or skewers, or chop sticks)
- Clothes pin
- Food Coloring
- Take your sticks, dampen them, and roll them in sugar. Set them aside to dry. These will be the starter sticks for your rock candy.
- Boil the water. Once it’s boiling add the sugar one cup at a time, stirring in between to dissolve the sugar. You’ll know it’s dissolved when the cloudy water becomes clear.
- Once it’s all dissolved, let the mixture boil for a few more minutes.
- Add any food coloring at this point and mix it in. (Tip: make it dark)
- Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into your 3-4 jars. Very carefully place the sugared sticks into the jar, trying not to knock off any of the sugar. Do not let the sticks touch or be close to any sides or the bottom of the jar. Use the clothes pin to help with this. (Tip: The sugar will grow onto the jar making it hard to remove if it’s touching any of the services within the jar.)
- See the pictures below to see how your Rock Candy will grow over 6-7 days.